!!!The lab has moved to LUMS. Please visit our new website for up-to-date information!!!
The SysNet Lab at FAST NUCES Islamabad covers a wide range of systems research from both the EE and CS domain. The lab research initiatives range from embedded and cyber-physical systems to large scale distributed networks (computer and power grid).
In the area of embedded system the lab is carrying out research regarding energy harvesting and energy transference for a networked cyber-physical system, and developing and underwater acoustic tesbed using software-defined radio.
In the area of distributed computer systems, the lab has initiatives in the area of cloud computing, software-defined networking (SDN), and botnet detection. A collaborative proposal, with Nayatel as an industrial partner, for real-time detection and prevention of botnet traffic was completed in Feb, 2014.
The lab's new (current) research thrust is in the cross-disciplinary area of Information Systems and Science of energy ISS4E, where the aim is to apply ICT and Science to resolving the problems of energy system. This thrust is supported by a Microsoft Research (MSR), through project to build a smart-home alternative to the UPS+battery solution used to alleviate the burden of load-shedding in energy-deprived countries. We are officially recognized as partner in a new initative MSR has launched in July 2013 Lab-of-Things (LoT).
Lab faculty, Affan A. Syed, was invited as a speaker at the MSR faculty summit 2014 held at Redmond, Washington, USA (July 14-16).
| News / Announcements
- Long awaited Journal paper on botflex has been accepted at JNCA, congrats to Sheharbano (for keeping at it) and Zaafar.
- Our paper on Laser Based Energy Distribution Architecture for WSN is accept in IJDSN.
- Our paper on Delivering Smart Load-shedding for Highly-stressed Grids has been accepted at IEEE SmartGridComm 2015. Congrats to the SoftUPS team Noman Bashir, Zohaib Sharani, Khushboo Qayyum.
- Dr. Hamad Alizai gave a talk on our laser-WSN project at COMSYS - top systems research lab in EU.
- Our paper on "SDN-inspired, Real-time Botnet Detection and Flow-blocking at ISP and Enterprise-level" has been accepted at ICC'15. Congrats to Osama, Zainab, Zaafar, and Naveed!
- Our paper in collaboration with Dr. Hamad (Emnets) and Dr. Omprakash (Univ. of Houston) accepted "Recycling Corrupt Packets over Multiple Hops" at EWSN 2015.
- SysNet lab is collaborating with Dr. Jessica Huber and Dr. Jeffrey Haddad, on the SEIF award-winning proposal related to preventing falls in patients with Parkinson's Disease.
- Our iSDF work has been accepted at SIGCOMM (CCR). Congratulations to Kamran Riaz Khan, Shabbir Ahmed and Zaafar Ahmed!.
- We have our second A+ conference acceptance at DSN 2014 for paper titled "Titan: Enabling Low Overhead and Multi-faceted Network Fingerprinting of a Bot". Congratulations to Osama and Waqar. This is a completely indigenous paper with all authors from SysNet.
- Our paper titled "Sensors with Lasers: Building a WSN Power Grid" , has been accepted at IPSN (SPOTS track). IPSN is one of the most prestigious WSN conference (along with SenSys) and this is the first completely indigenous work accepted at IPSN from Pakistan. Congratulation to Naveed on this achievement.
Collaborators and Research Partners